Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Parnasssus on Wheels

Have you ever heard of Christopher Morley?  I certainly had not, until my niece gave me this book to read.  (Well, it's really more of a short story than a book, but sometimes you don't need to write very much to get your point across.)  So, what in the world is a Parnassus?  According to Wikipedia, it refers to a "home of poetry, literature and learning".  Fine, but then what is it doing on wheels?

Parnassus on Wheels is about a horse-drawn book store in 1917.   Kind of like a gypsy caravan, only filled with books instead of crystal balls.  However, the owner of Parnassus could be considered a bit of a seer, one who can predict which books his customers will like best.  So, Parnassus travels the country roads of New York selling books to people who have few if any.  YES! THIS IS PRE-AMAZON AND BARNES AND NOBLE!!! Can you imagine life before the click of a mouse got you anything you wanted???  Oh, wait, I remember those days well.  But back to the subject at hand. Read Parnassus on Wheels and get to know Chistopher Morley. I'm glad I did.

(The previous post/quote was Christopher Morley's last message to his friends. I think he was a pretty smart cookie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment