Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rules of Civility

My daughter gave me Rules of Civility by Amor Towles for my birthday.  It was a great choice.  (I love you, Kate!)  And I loved this book.  It is the story of Katey Kontent, a Manhattan secretary who through a chance encounter is introduced to the cream of New York society.  But don't turn up your nose, this tale is much more F. Scott than Judith Krantz.  Katey isn't a lost heiress, and she isn't saved by the handsome-yet-brooding-boss-with-the-tragic-past.  She navigates her way through college co-eds, awkward millionaires, and tyrannical mentors by making her own decisions, something a little unusual for women in 1938.  But does she learn to be content, just like her name?  Read the book and see for yourself!

Amor Towles has written a great first novel.  It is a story that transports and fascinates, and I hope he writes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment