Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Miss Buncle's Book

My dear friend Karen gave me a book for my birthday, and I am so glad!  Miss Buncle's Book by D. E. Stevenson was first published in 1934, but it is totally new to me.

Miss Buncle lives in a tiny English country village in the early 1930's.  No one really notices her, but she notices everyone.  So, when her dividend checks stop coming, she decides to write a book...about her neighbors...anonymously.  The uproar that ensues is entertaining to the extreme!

I found it hard to believe that Stevenson wrote this book so very long ago.  The prose, the characters and their reactions could easily translate into our world today.  Imagine how you would react if the setting and characters of a best selling book seemed to mirror your neighborhood, your friends and your enemies.  To what lengths would you go to find out who the author really is?  Who would you suspect? More interestingly, would someone else's version of you change the way you view yourself?  In writing her book Miss Buncle finds that you can make a different life for yourself, and what you imagine can become real. Those are pretty powerful discoveries.


I'm glad my friend discovered Miss Buncle for me.  I hope you enjoy her as much as I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment