Saturday, June 1, 2013

By the Great Horn Spoon!

If you live in California and have children, you have probably heard of this book.  It was required fourth grade reading for my children, the year they study California history.  I usually read everything my children do, (Except 1984. Sorry Mr. Orwell.) but somehow I missed out on this one.  It's never too late for a great book, even one meant for fourth graders!

By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleischman tells the story of twelve-year-old Jack and his butler Praiseworthy who have joined the 1849 gold rush to California. They are determined to make their fortune in order to save the family home in Boston.  Along the way they run into adventures and dilemmas, using their noggins and positive attitudes to solve every problem.  A little bit of luck helps, too. The book is filled with fantastic characters and outrageous situations, but all of it is based on real history.  In other words, you learn a lot and have fun doing it!

I recommend By the Great Horn Spoon! to everyone, but especially if you live in California.  It is a fascinating time in our history, and the beginning of our great state.  There's a 1967 Disney movie based on the book called The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin, starring Roddy McDowall and Suzanne Pleshette. You can rent it on Amazon for 1.99.  I think I'll stake my claim on that tonight!  (Wa, wa, wa....) TBC


No comments:

Post a Comment