Saturday, April 23, 2011

Calling All fans of Jane Austen! (Or Not)

I can't say that I am a huge fan of Jane Austen.  I appreciate the stories, but I don't rush to her when looking for a book to read.  However, I DO love her characters, and I loved what Cathleen Schine did with The Three Weissmanns of Westport.

What does this book have to do with Jane Austen? A little tongue in cheek, Schine sets three women into an Austenian situation and the story unfolds from there.  Betty's husband of 48 years is leaving her for another, younger, woman.  Impulsive daughter Miranda has just lost everything she worked for in a huge literary scandal.  Responsible daughter Annie tries to rescue everyone as they all move into rich Cousin Lou's rundown beach cottage in Westport, CT.  Scheming gold diggers, handsome out-of-work actors, adorable 2 year old boys and other hangers-on populate the pages of this story.  My favorite is Cousin Lou's 98 year old father-in-law, Mr. Shpuntov.  He will make you laugh out loud!! (I do laugh when I read.  People think I'm nuts.)

The Three Weissmanns of Westport is funny, frivolous and touching, and I loved it!  I hope you'll give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment