Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran has recently been released as a movie starring Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock.  It is the story of nine-year-old Oskar Schell, who is trying to find the lock that fits a mysterious key, hoping when he does to find a message from his father who died in the Twin Towers on 9/11.  However, Oskar's is not the only journey we follow in this book, and none of them are easy.

Things I liked about this book:

1. Oskar.  His emotions are relatable and realistic, and he is also an endearingly quirky kid.

2. Oskar's father Thomas.  What a great dad.

3. Mr. Black, Oskar's upstairs neighbor.  I'd love to interview him!

4. Stan the doorman.

5. The ending.

I read this book because I'd heard from a couple of people how they couldn't put it down.  I LIKED it well enough, but I think I would change the title to Extremely Weird and Sort of Unsettling.  I am definitely NOT going to see the movie, but if you've read the book or seen the movie, I'd love to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment