Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Peter Abrahams ROCKS!!!

I discovered Peter Abrahams several years ago when my daughter was still in grade school.  I've always loved young adult and children's books, but her fantastic 3rd AND 5th grade teacher, Mr. Singley, introduced us to books we probably never would have read without him.  One of these was Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams.  This was the first book in his Echo Falls Mystery series, and I was hooked.  If you haven't read them, hop on Amazon or BarnesandNoble.com to order, or run to the library.  Today.  What I didn't realize until recently was Abrahams is also an acclaimed adult mystery writer.  Even better, and now things in my world make complete sense, he writes the Chet and Bernie mysteries under his pen name Spencer Quinn!!!  I LOVE Chet and Bernie!!!!  (See my post from 1/28/2011)  So now I have just read the first book in another series by Abrahams, and I love him even more.

Robbie Forester and the Outlaws of Sherwood Street is the story of Robbie, a 7th grader in a private school in Brooklyn.  Her father is a writer, and her mother is a Manhattan lawyer.  She has a big, lovable but cowardly dog named Pendleton.  All should be idyllic, but of course, things are not always what they should be.  Someone big and powerful is forcing longtime businesses and tenants out of their Brooklyn homes, and Robbie and her friends find themselves in the middle of big trouble. Injustice is in the air, and with the help of a mysterious homeless woman the rich begin to give to the poor.

Robbie Forester and the Outlaws of Sherwood Street is everything I love in a book.  It has great characters, atmosphere and imagination, and the potential for many more stories to come. I can't wait for the next one!


No comments:

Post a Comment