Thursday, May 10, 2012

Calico Joe

I am not a huge fan of John Grisham, but I wholly recommend Calico Joe.  My husband picked it up at the airport a couple of weeks ago and has yet to crack the cover.  I hate to see a book sitting all alone and neglected, so I picked it up this morning and just finished it.  (Yes!  I have a life besides reading, but it's a short book and a quick read.)

Now you don't have to be a baseball fan to like this book.  It's historical fiction, so there are a great many famous names, places and events portrayed, but the main story is completely imagined.  It IS about baseball, but it's also about family dynamics and betrayals, lost dreams and redemption.  In short, it has something for everyone.  My husband will LOVE it, because he is a huge baseball fan.  I just have to get him to read it.  (He's more of a vacation reader.)

If you like this you'll also like John Grisham's Playing for Pizza.  That one is about American football in Italy, plus parmesan cheese.

Ciao, for now!  I'm off to find something else to read...Mary Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment