Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just Do It!

Now that I have decided to write a blog and actually started aforementioned blog yesterday, I realize I am actually expected to post the written word on a regular basis.  As my niece loves to say, and thank you to Nike, "Just Do It!!"  So here it goes...

My children gave me Major Pettigrew's Last Stand for Christmas.  This proves not only that they love me, but also that they listened to me when I said, "I want Major Pettigrew's Last Stand for Christmas." Thanks, kiddos!

Helen Simonson has written a book about unexpected love and all of it's consequences.  It is unexpected because of age, nationality, personality and place, but like Romeo and Juliet this love conquers all.  Unlike Romeo and Juliet, it is not a tragedy.  (The first thing I want to know about most books is if they have a happy ending.  However, I realize many people do NOT want to know this, so I'm not going to spoil things for you.  Hopefully.  Most of the time.  I'm sure there will be exceptions.  I really don't know what I'm doing yet so give me a break!)

Back to the point of this blog, which is to write about books I love.  I LOVED this book!  The author made her characters come alive for me, and I recognized people in my life that could live in the English village of the story.  People are the same everywhere, the good ones and the bad ones.  On the other hand, I learned about a nationality that I really knew nothing about.  But most of all, this book is funny, endearing and unforgettable.  I hope she writes a sequel!

Have you read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand?  What do YOU think?

Mary Kay
The Book Chick

2 comments:

  1. MK,

    this is great! I;m glad you are doing this. I love to get recommendations on great books so I will be checking out your blog!

    ReplyDelete