Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Not So Little Book

 In no way can The Little Book by Seldon Edwards be considered little.  Not that it's big-long like War and Peace or big-significant like The Origin of the Species.  It probably won't ruin your eyesight or change your view of the world.  What it is, however, is a big STORY.  So big, in fact, that it took the author almost four decades to finish!  After all, he had a lot of ground to cover and a lot of loose ends to tie up, which I am happy to report he was very successful in doing.  (I CAN'T STAND loose ends.) Now, back to the book...

One of the great perks of reading is it gives me the chance to travel far and wide without the hassle of packing, airport security and flying coach.  This book took me to Boston, the Sacramento Valley, San Francisco and Vienna right along with our hero, Wheeler Burden.  Excluding Vienna, pretty run-of-the-mill places you might say, except Wheeler was born in 1941 and lived an extraordinary life until 1988, when he somehow ended up in 1897 Vienna.  (Now, don't pooh-pooh time travel.  This is not The Terminator. It is much more real and fascinating.  And there's no Ahhnold.)  While in "Fin de Siecle" Vienna, (I'm not showing off.  That is an important expression in the book.), Wheeler meets Sigmund Freud, Mark Twain, Gustav Mahler, a young Adolf Hitler and various friends and relatives that all affect his life to come.  Herein lies the dilemna of time travel:  Do you have to right to change history?  Will those changes result in your own extinction?

I thoroughly enjoyed The Little Book.  Go forth and read!  Download some Strauss to your ITunes. Then let me know what you think.

Mary Kay

3 comments:

  1. I think you need to write a Big Book! I love your writing style and book reviews. You should be the one reviewed. I am really enjoying your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! My daughter's friend Libby was signed in. That was from me!

    ReplyDelete