Wednesday, February 23, 2011

You Do Not Have to Love Birds to Love This Book

I just finished A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drayson.  There is only one problem.  I just finished A Guide to the Birds of East Africa, and now I want more!!!

Set in Nairobi, Kenya, the story revolves around Mr. Malik, a highly honorable 60ish Indian gentleman and his unrequited love for Rose.  Rose is a Scottish lady that leads the Tuesday morning bird walks of the East African Ornithological Society.  All sorts of characters show up for the bird walks, including, to the dismay of Mr. Malik, an unwelcome classmate from his boarding school days, who also sets his sights on Rose.  The solution?  A bird identifying contest.  Whoever has the most sightings in a week wins the right to ask Rose to the Hunt Club Ball.  Cue corrupt politicians, Somalian baddies, car thieves and the mysterious Mr. Dadukwa, and a simple wager turns into quite an adventure.

Fresh, charming, gentle and cheeky, A Guide to the Birds of East Africa enthralled and entertained me.
I loved this book!  (And I DO love birds!)

PS:  Huzzah for Google!  I just read an interview with Nicholas Dryson.  He said he's working on a sequel!

5 comments:

  1. O.K. I have got to get this book. It sounds great!BTW we are going on vacation next week and we are taking all of Foyles War set 4. I ordered it from Amazon. We are hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it! Sharon should read it, too. Don't you just love Michael Kitchen? I hope they make a new season of Foyle. We miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah! (: Glad you liked it...glad there is a sequel coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Kay -
    Put in a side bar with all the books you posted about and a star rating for quick reference. Thanks....just do it MK!

    ReplyDelete