Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Chronicles of Harris Burdick

I started collecting children's books while I was in college, and one of the first that I purchased was Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg.  I was astounded by the illustrations, and it deservedly won the Caldecott medal in 1982.  I have read and collected many Van Allsburg books since, which is why I am so excited to tell you about The Chronicles of Harris Burdick.


The Mysteries of Harris Burdick,  NOT to be confused with the Chronicles, was truly that...a mystery.   A phantom author has created a portfolio of illustrations with a single caption under each, but then disappears.  Since its publication in 1984, countless school children have written their own stories to go with the images, including my own daughter.  Now 14 prize winning authors have thrown their own stories into the pot, including Kate DiCamillo, Lois Lowry, Gregory Maguire, Louis Sachar and Stephen King, and I loved every one.  They are fascinating, creepy and imaginative, and NOT just for children.  And perhaps you will be inspired to write one of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment