Friday, December 9, 2011

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick is truly amazing.  In fact, I don't think I've ever read anything like it.  The story itself is completely original, with characters that speak to the reader, but it is his illustrations that really draw you in.  The Invention of Hugo Cabret deservedly won the Caldecott Medal, but Selznick's beautiful drawings are much more than renderings of the text. They are an intrinsic part of the story. Almost like a film or a very complicated flip book, the story would not be the same without the images.

I can't really tell you much about the plot without ruining the experience of the book.  I CAN tell you it is about a boy, a girl, an old man and a secret all wrapped up in 1931 Paris. It is sold as a young adult book, but I think it is an ANYONE book!

(PS: Has anyone seen the movie?)


2 comments:

  1. Tessa and I both loved this book too. And I thought Eat Cake was a great book. Fun reading!

    ReplyDelete