Thursday, December 22, 2011

And Speaking of Children's Books...

...here are some of my favorites for Christmas!

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

Of course, The Night Before Christmas must always be read on Christmas Eve, but it must immediately be followed by The Polar Express.  I dare you not to cry.

Pedro, the Angel of Olvera Street by Leo Politi

Leo Politi was a Los Angeles artist who wrote and illustrated over 20 children's books.  Published in 1946,  Pedro takes you back to an L.A. filled with Posadas and pinatas, and a lot less traffic.  My father grew up in Los Angeles, and I've had this book as long as I can remember.  It is charming!

Christmas With the Savages by Mary Clive

I was introduced to this book last year by my friend Rosemary Quiros, and I am SO glad!  Published in 1955, but written many years earlier, it is basically Mary Clive's memoir of Edwardian childhood Christmases spent in great English country houses.  That may sound stuffy, but those nanny-raised hordes of children were hellions!  It is available on Amazon, but the sellers are in England.  It is DEFINITELY worth the wait and shipping.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Not technically a children's book, but it's a classic for a reason.  Read it again, or for the first time.

Merry Christmas!!
Mary Kay

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! :-) You have introduced me to so many great books, I'm glad you liked one I recommended.

    ReplyDelete