Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Hobbit

My kids and I went to see Brave, (LOVED IT!!  Go see it NOW!!!), and I thought my 23 year old son was going to have a seizure when the preview for The Hobbit appeared on the screen.  This was a matter of extreme excitement, as he loves ALL things J. R. R. Tolkien.  He has nagged me for many years to read The Lord of the Rings, which I have to admit I'm not all that keen on, but I DID read The Hobbit many, many years ago.  So, in preparation for the upcoming film I thought myself duty-bound to read it again. This was an interesting experience.

I was probably 12 or 13 when I first read The Hobbit.  I remember it being exotic and challenging, and I'd probably never read anything remotely like it before.  Nancy Drew and Little House on the Prairie aren't in the same league. Naturally, I was looking forward to once again venturing forward into the edge of the Wild with Mr. Bilbo Baggins, Gandolf and friends.  I DID enjoy it, but I was surprised to find that it was not as sophisticated as I remembered, and maybe I SHOULD read The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  Anyway, if you haven't read The Hobbit, you must.  If you have an 11+ year old in the house, they should!  The only thing that I found a little freaky was the spiders, but that may have been because I just found an infestation of Black and Brown Widows under my outdoor patio furniture.  But that's another story all together.

"Far over the misty mountains cold
 To dungeons deep and caverns old
 We must away to break of day
 To seek the pale enchanted gold."

I'm off to the ever changing adventure of figuring out what to make for dinner...wish me luck!

The Book Chick



No comments:

Post a Comment