Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A MOST Uncommon Book

I just finished  The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett.  I can't remember now where I read about it, but I'm glad my interest was piqued. It is quite an appropriate little read considering recent and soon to be current events in London.

This is the story of Queen Elizabeth II and books.  Not accustomed to reading for pleasure, as One simply does not have time in One's schedule, the Queen is led by her wayward and noisy corgis to the traveling library parked outside Buckingham Palace's kitchens. Not wanting to offend the elderly driver, she checks out a book, and a whole world she had never before known opens up for her.  Unfortunately, her new hobby soon becomes something of an addiction, her royal duties suffer, and her equerries are alarmed.


I think this book was first published in England in 2006, but it was re-released for the Queen's 60th Jubilee. (I found it on Amazon.) It is filled with very English and royal minutiae, and the literary references are a tad high brow,  but I really enjoyed this tongue-in-cheek fantasy.  If the thought of putting down your current book to do almost anything else distresses you, you must try The Uncommon Reader.  And let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment